Monday, August 23, 2010

A day of firsts

Last Wed was the first day of school. Trevor started 3rd grade and Cody started Kindergarten. They were excited to go....but as we got closer to school, Trevor's nerves kicked in. He always gets so nervous the first few days of school. :o) Once he gets the nerves worked out, he's good to go and enjoys his school experience. Both Nathan and I took the boys on the first day. Trevor wanted to just be dropped off at the curb--image you know--but we talked him into letting us walk him in, just the first day. :o) Then we headed to the Kindergarten! Cody was excited. We walked him all the way to his classroom (only on the first day) and he was already waking in the door before we could ask for a hug and a goodbye! He marched on in and hung up his backpack....I stepped in and gave him a quick hug and kiss, told him I'd see him when he got home off the bus and stepped back into the doorway. Nathan called out to Cody to wave goodbye and wish him a good day and Cody was too busy getting into the playdough at his table. Nathan had to walk over to him and tell him goodbye. We walked away chuckling at Cody and his excitement. It certainly made it easier to leave our "baby" in the big school knowing he was glad to be there and already having fun.

The Lord honored my prayers and allowed me to make it out to the van before I began to cry. :o) This was a big day for me too....the first day in nearly 9 years that I wouldn't have my boys at home with me. I missed Trevor when he went to Kindgergarten and was sad to have him gone to school, but Cody was still home with me. That provided a bit of comfort....and company. I dropped Nathan off at his truck and headed home.....alone. It was bittersweet. I had looked forward to this time many, many times in the back of my head over the years.....especially on "those" kinds of days! :o) But, now that "that" day was here, I wanted so much to go back in time and have it be that spot in the distant future again. However, as I turned up the radio, a song by the Newsboys called "I Am Free" was on. How ironic is that?! I was free. For the first time in nearly 9 years, I am free to go to the store w/o having to bring snacks or toys to entertain, or make bribes of a sucker "if you're good" or say "no, we're not getting that today". :o) There is all kinds of potential. I came home to a very quiet house. I took a few minutes to pour out my tender heart to God and mourn the passing of the "at-home-with-small-children" stage. I am SO, so very grateful to the Lord for allowing me the opportunity to stay home with my children. That is time that is so precious and is gone all-too-soon! But, I celebrate this new chapter we're beginning and all the fun memories and opportunities we'll be provided.

We celebrated our big first day with dinner out at McDonald's (for Cody---is there anything else?!?) and Culver's for T, N8 and myself. It was a nice time, recapping each boys day. Today they began their first full week of school. It will pick up from here on out. The school year will be in full swing. How time will fly!
Our big 3rd grader! How did he get this big?! :o)Ready for Kindergarten!A pose together. Brothers ready for school! (Pay no attention to my pitiful flowers! It's been H-O-T!!) :o)Cody and his teacher, Mrs. Stevens at Open House. Trevor and his teacher, Mrs. Moore, at Open House.Trevor in front of his school sign. I've done this every year since Preschool. We did this on Open House night so as not to further add to nerves and embarrass him on the first day. :o)Trevor's classroom on the first day. He's bending over in the front in the turquoise.Cody in front of his school sign. He looks so little! :o)Cody finding his table. They had playdough and his was green! His favorite color! God is good!
Getting off the bus first day! Cody LOVES getting to ride the bus.I got a "Hi Mom!" and a hug right away from Trevor.....he must have missed me!! :o)

No comments: