Monday, September 22, 2008

Fall without my flag

Happy Fall! Autumn begins at 10:44 am today! That time seems obscure...but oh well.

I put my fall decorations out last week. Got my porch somewhat decorated...I don't have a hay bale or pumpkins yet, but the scarecrow is out and my fake fall mums (for now). I put my fall flag out too. Yesterday morning, we stepped outside as we got up to see what the weather was like. I noticed my flag was missing from it's holder...on the side of the stone "column". I mentioned it to Nathan...thinking maybe he took it down. He asked me if I took it down. No--neither of us had touched it. I remember seeing it as I mowed Saturday evening b/c it was still outside....no breeze. We briefly searched around the house--to no avail. I have NO idea why someone would take a decorative flag. No idea. My first thought was some kids were just trying to be funny. But, everything else on the porch is still there--scarecrow, fall bucket with flowers, wreath on the door..... Just the flag and the pole it hung on are missing. We figure if it were kids, why wouldn't they take the scarecrow or something. Nathan's thinks it was some "garage sale lady" who was out in the neighborhood looking for yard sales and saw my flag and had to have it, so she planned to come back in the night and snatch it. Trevor knows it was "a bandit". He thinks we need to call the police and report the bandit stole our flag. :-) I am disgusted that the flag was stolen, but it can be replaced and it's not the big issue.....what really bothers me, is that someone had to come up to our porch---just feet from our front door and feet from Cody's bedroom window--to get that flag. I have no idea what time they were here--I've wondered that too...we have windows on the sides of our front door...did they look in? Were Nathan and I still up when they did it? Will they be back? I was very uneasy as I went to bed last night. I found solace in the Lord who knows exactly who took the flag and why. "The Lord is my strength and my shield, my heart trusts in him, and I am helped....The Lord is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear?" (Psalm 28:7 & 27:1)

1 comment:

Val said...

You guys should put a motion light on the front porch. It may make you feel better or more paranoid because every time the light goes off you will jump to see what it was - and it could have been a squirrel! :)