I bought this mum (and 3 others just like it) last year....end of the season....on clearance. It was one of those small pots--it was one of the few that hadn't really bloomed yet and was in very decent shape--compared to the company it was keeping. I planted it (along with 3 other mums--the same size and quality), not sure if they would survive the winter. We had lots of hard freezes and late frosts. All 4 of these new mums only needed a hand towel to cover them---they were that small. They survived the winter and came up in the spring....nice and green and as the summer turned into summer, the mums began to grow....and grow....and G-R-O-W!! There are two this orange color and two a burgundy color--the burgundy's aren't this huge, but they are at least 4 times their original size. The other orage mum is this size too....it has crowded the hostas it was planted near! We are loving them in all of their beautiful fall glory! If you have faith as small as a mustard seed.......
One daddy, one mommy, two boys, a cat and a dog and all the little everyday adventures we encounter.
Monday, October 12, 2009
Monstrous Mum
I bought this mum (and 3 others just like it) last year....end of the season....on clearance. It was one of those small pots--it was one of the few that hadn't really bloomed yet and was in very decent shape--compared to the company it was keeping. I planted it (along with 3 other mums--the same size and quality), not sure if they would survive the winter. We had lots of hard freezes and late frosts. All 4 of these new mums only needed a hand towel to cover them---they were that small. They survived the winter and came up in the spring....nice and green and as the summer turned into summer, the mums began to grow....and grow....and G-R-O-W!! There are two this orange color and two a burgundy color--the burgundy's aren't this huge, but they are at least 4 times their original size. The other orage mum is this size too....it has crowded the hostas it was planted near! We are loving them in all of their beautiful fall glory! If you have faith as small as a mustard seed.......
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I just love mums - I try to plant at least one each fall - because they will bring me such pleasure next fall! That is an awesome one - and I always like the orange ones! Did you trim it during the summer any? I heard if you trim back the flowers all summer that they will get huge during fall. In Texas they seem to blum all year so it is hard for me to go out and trim them.
Post a Comment