Saturday, October 31, 2009

They do exist

I found this Black Widow spider in our house! I knocked over a flower vase as I got into a closet by the front door and as I went to set it back up, I saw a black spider with RED climbing back up a web attached from the vase to the front door trim. (Our front door lacks trim around it--why I forget, but this allows for a 1/4 inch pocket for things to hide in. Really makes you want to come and visit, huh?!) The spider crawled into the opening in the "trim" and hid there while I got a flashlight and Nathan. He decided to spray said spider with our "eco-friendly" bug killer--hhhmmmmm...does that seem like an oxy-moron?! :o) Anyway, he sprayed, the spider crippled and Nathan fetched it out with a pencil. It dangled from a quickly-spun web, but the eco-friendly spray was too much for it. We brought the spider to the kitchen counter because, of course, isn't that what you do with all of them?! :o) We wanted to get a good look at it and compare it with what we found on Google. Sure enough! There, on it's belly, was the signature red bow-tie!! I tried and tried to get a good and CLOSE-UP picture, but our camera couldn't focus well....so this is what we got.
If you look closely, you can see the red bow tie under the crippled legs

The spider stayed on the kitchen counter, on an envelope, for a few hours, until it got knocked off somehow (and by somehow, I mean by one of two boys named Trevor and Cody) and it was never found! Here's where I could insert "mmmwwwwhhhaaaahahahahahah" and make it a cliffhanger ending. But, the reality is, we have a dog and a cat, and my guess is one of them had black widow spider as a snack!

No comments: