Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Pumkin Prayer

We carved our pumpkin this year based on the Pumpkin Prayer. We got this at church, with Mom's Connection, when Trevor was maybe 2 or 3. I really wanted to make the impression on the kids that Halloween is a dark holiday, but we can be the light in that darkness. Well.....at least a seed might be planted. :o) They lasted about 10 minutes into the carving and then they played. I went through the prayer afterwards and explained the reasons behind it. Here is the prayer and pics of our pumpkin:

The Pumpkin Prayer

As I carve my pumpkin help me say this prayer:

Open my mind so I can learn about You: (cut the top of the pumpkin)

Take away all my sin and forgive me for the wrong things I do. (clean out the inside)

Open my eyes so Your love I will see: (cut eyes shaped like hearts)

I'm sorry for turning up my nose to all you've given me. (cut nose in the shape of a cross)

Open my ears so Your word I will hear; (cut ears shaped like the bible)

Open my mouth so I can tell others You're near. (cut the mouth in the shape of a fish)

Let Your light shine in all I say and do! Amen. (place a candle inside and light it)

No comments: