Tuesday, March 18, 2008

What Happened to the HoHo?

Don't know if any of you go to the Blog Roll to the side here and read any of the other blogs I go to, but Big Mama blogged about her disappointment in the "new" Hostess Ding Dongs and Twinkies. They Twinkies were greasy and she found the Ding Dong to be so dry it wasn't even worth it for the chocolate. (For a woman, that's pretty bad). Like many of us that grew up in the 80's and the height of the Hostess cakes such as Ding Dongs, Ho-Ho's and the beloved Twinkie, I enjoyed those snacks and they were a real treat to have in our house. (However, I do remember the Twinkie being somewhat of a staple.) :-) We have fond memories of taking these snacks to school in our Fox and the Hound or Dukes of Hazzard metal lunch boxes. We can still hear the crinkle of the foil wrapping that cradled those treats. My personal favorite was the HoHo. (BTW, they're best if you put them in the fridge for a little while and eat them cold...so good that way.) But, I have to agree with Big Mama, I have tried those "treats" in recent years --HoHos, and via my mom's house--Hostess Cupckaes --the chocolate ones with the white braided frosting strip across the top--and Ding Dongs (only b/c they were out of the Cupcakes) and have myself been a little disappointed. The cakes are just not as moist as I remember. Maybe they never were, it's just that we were kids and they were fun to eat. But, I wonder, is it just me, b/c I'm adult that those things taste differently? Is it poorer quality in the manufacturing these days? Too many preservatives? (Have you seen the back of a box of Twinkies??? I wanted to treat my boys to them, (they have no idea what a Twinkie is) but after looking at the back of the box and all the calories, etc,--uh-no!Um.....NO.) Either way, it's disappointing. Yet another part of childhood is slipping further away. I can't even get a taste of it (haha) by enjoying an old childhood favorite.

No comments: