Saturday, November 15, 2008

Operation Christmas Child

Operation Christmas Child brings joy and hope to children in desperate situations around the world through gift-filled shoe boxes and the Good News of God’s love. Since 1993, more than 61 million shoe boxes have been packed, shipped, and delivered across the globe. People of all ages can be involved in this simple, hands-on missions project while focusing on the true meaning of Christmas—Jesus Christ.

For the last 4 years we have participated in Operation Christmas Child. Operation Christmas Child is a project of Samartian's Purse which is led by Franklin Graham. Every year, OCC collects thousands of boxes and distributes them to children in countries not as blessed as ours. It's very simple to do, just fill a shoebox with simple items such as school supplies, basic hygeine supplies--toothbrush/paste, comb, soap, washcloth; toys (nothing war-related); candy, etc. Once you fill your box, drop it off along with $7 for shipping at a location near you. On Christmas morning, children around the world will open their boxes and experience the love of Christ.

We have participated in this as a way to teach our boys about sharing with those who don't have like we do. It's still a work in progress...the boys don't understand who these kids are since they can't see them. I know that it will make an impact at some point. It's exciting to think about a child opening our box on Christmas morning and the joy they will feel. We try to remind our boys on Christmas morning about the box we gave to other little boys.

This year, the National collection week for the shoeboxes is November 17-24. You can click here to be connected with their website. It has all the information on packing a shoebox if you're interested and even printable info for your box. There are drop-off locations all around the country, all you have to do is click on that link on the website and enter your zip code to find one. I hope you'll consider joining us this year in sharing the love of Jesus through a shoebox.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Heather here! I found you through your comment on Big Mama's blog.
When I saw your comment about OCC and then saw that you're in MO, I had to come visit. We're "practically" neighbors! I live to the East of you a bit, about an hour away, on the other side of Springfield. And I totally feel the same way you do about OCC! We've been participating for years now, and I still get choked up filling the box or boxes. We're members of 2nd Baptist in Springfield and are fortunate to be a part of such a giving Church. We give thousands of boxes every year. It takes my breath away to see all of them stacked up on the platform.
I rec'd my first letter(and only letter not from this child) from one of our OCC recipients on Sept 11, 2001! Talk about bawling even more. To be watching such a tragic moment in our Country's life and to walk to the mailbox and receive such a blessing. I can't even tell you how I felt. Actually, I cried and shook even more and couldn't open it for the longest time.
Anyhow, it's nice to meet you! Keep on making a difference in the lives of the least of these. :)