Our week started off with a trip to the Emergency Room Sunday evening. Cody woke up with a croupy cough Sunday morning and ran a slight fever by lunch. We didn't think much of it as he gets croup every year and the weather is up and down with temps. By early evening, he was complaining of his ear hurting. He said it was hurting and then told me something I didn't understand...so he took me to the bathroom, where he pulled out some q-tips. He continued to complain about his ear and began to cry it hurt so much. We gave him some Motrin--I couldn't see anything in his ear and it wasn't even red. Once that kicked in, he was good to go. We gave him some Tylenol about 8:30 for bed. About 20 minutes later, he was crying again about his ear. This time Nathan looked at it and saw some red in his ear. He went to get a light and when he returned, Cody's ear was bleeding. We decided it warranted a trip to the ER. So, Cody and I headed out at 9:00 pm. We waited about 30 minutes I think before we were seen. The Dr. couldn't see much due to the clotting, etc inside his ear. He suggested we follow-up with an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist. So, we picked up some prescriptions and headed home about 10:45. Not too bad, but still a late night...and stressful. Monday morning the Ear, Nose and Throat doctor worked us in. He removed (via a tiny vacuum) the clotting from Cody's ear. He was such a brave boy!! Didn't even cry. The Dr. requested we come back TH after some ear drops and he'll have another look. It's still not determinable (is that a word?) what exactly is injured. So, we came home, with even more prescriptions. (After a stop at the Cookie Factory at the mall, for a treat for the brave little boy!) :o) His ear hasn't seemed to cause any more pain, just uncomfortable having a piece of cotton in the ear--we're keeping it there to help with the ear drops we have to administer. He absolutely HATES his amoxocillin!! That is such a struggle to get him to take. He has to take that 3 times a day until it's gone....we have two bottles!! Today we're finally about 1/2 way through with the first bottle. We will go back to Dr. McDonald (the ENT Dr.) and see what he says. I'm praying he'll be able to determine the injury so there's some finality and necessary treatment.
The "funny" part is, we just realized last week, we desperately needed to use up our medical spending plan money! Nathan went to a dermatologist about some bumps on his head (which are normal--just a nuisance). They set up an appt to remove them. I'm going to the Dr for a check up and we were considering a dentist appt for the boys..... Cody's ear has more than taken care of that! Hopefully, we won't go over!
This morning, Cody informed me that his ear "doesn't hurt anymore.....So I think it's time to take 'Mr. Tape' off!" :o) Don't know where he came up with "Mr. Tape"....but it cracked me up. At least he's in good spirits....at least until it's time to take the medicine!! :o)
1 comment:
As I reread the "What a week...." Blog I noticed that my comment didn't record. How is Cody doing? What a scary happening! Hope the week has improved greatly! Love to you all.........
Post a Comment