Friday, May 1, 2009

Adjusting....

We've officially had Max for over a week now. Technically, it's been longer, but the first week we got him, we had to leave for Eric's wedding and he was gone for a 4 day weekend. So.....we are now nearing two weeks solid. It's been an adjustment. For all of us, but I would say, selfishly, mostly me. :o) You see, I am the one who the "responsibility" falls on during the day--the longest "shift" I might add--playing, feeding, potty-training.....and let's not forget the clean up! :o) I've had more than my fill of that!! It seems as though everyone else gets to have the fun and me--when I look at Max, I see "responsibility". Kind of disappointing to me. I've always been an animal lover. I love both dogs and cats--although, I've discovered over the past couple of weeks, I think I am more partial to cats. Let's face it, they're just cleaner and easier. Sure they're snotty and the make you work for their affection, but that sure beats having to take/send a dog out in the rain to go potty. :o) Max is slowly, very slowly, growing on me. I think God is using Max to teach me some lessions in selfishness and in love. I was very ready to send Max to a new home last week (and half of this week). :o) But, I sought the Lord in my frustration and disappointment and he gave me the patience I need with Max for now. It's apparent in Max that he may not have been treated that well in the first year of his life. That is what makes it hard for me to give up on him. So, I'm I'm waiting on God's direction concerning Max. We have learned this week--through the marvels of the internet--that Bichon's are typcially stubborn potty-trainers. Hhhmmm......you don't say?! :o) For some reason, hearing that helps...and we've been trying their suggestions like creating a schedule of potty, play, eat, potty, rest, etc. .....much like you would a new baby. I'm happy to say today we've so far, been successful. I even "caught" Max about ready to have an "accident" and instead took him outside where he proceeded properly. So, we will continue our voyage with Max for the time being. On an added note, as I type this, I'm sitting between Max and Chloe and it's a standoff. Chloe would LOVE to get her claws into Max and she is just daring him with her cold stares and deep growling. Max just wants to play. He's not quite sure what to do about Chloe--he's terribly afraid to even walk within 3 feet of her. Every once and ahwhile--as is right now--he musters up enough gumption to bark back at her growling. It's quite amusing. Guess I'm not the only one adjusting. :o)

No comments: